Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Independence Day

Yesterday Jason and I had such a wonderful time celebrating the 4th of July.  We started our day off at 6 am to get ready for the freedom run. I know what you're all thinking! Those of you who know me know that I hate running.  Those of you that don't know me, now you know.  I really do hate running.  My best friend growing up was big into running.  She was always running marathons and trying to get me to train with her, and sometimes I did!  But I never stuck with it, because I don't like it and I never had the drive to continue training.  Well, I am proud to say that this time I really did stick with it!  Sure, I could have been better prepared than I was, but I am proud of what I accomplished!  I ran a 10 K without stopping even though I wanted to so bad!  Especially since the last leg of the race was uphill and I wanted to die! Guys, I stuck with it and I felt so accomplished and proud of myself!  I couldn't have done it without my husband, he definitely dragged me along to run with him more times than I can count, and I am glad that he did because I couldn't have finished that 10 K without him!  The worst part of the run was probably that I didn't have any music because I don't have an iPod (I used to just use my phone, so my iPod has been history for many, many years) and I don't have a smart phone anymore, so I just kept thinking to myself, 'Don't stop! You can do this!  Keep going!  You're almost there!' And a whole slew of encouraging words from myself to keep me motivated.  Even though I still don't like running, I like how running makes me feel, so I am going to continue doing it and maybe next year I can beat my time!




After the freedom run, we watched the Parade.  I don't remember much because I was just obsessing over my nephew, but we had a lot of fun at the parade regardless of whether or not I watched it.  Not only was I in good company, but I was surrounded by good food! You really can't go wrong with that dynamic duo, am I right?!  I also got to visit my best friend before she went back to Texas, and that was some much needed best friend time. I miss her so much! I wish she lived here. After I visited with Shydi, I picked up Jas and we went to a family BBQ at his Aunt's house. We finished the night at the Cul-de-sac of Fire!  That is an event that Jason's best friend puts on at his family's home, and it is a blast.  Everyone brings a 4th of July snack to share and there is patriotic music blaring and of course an amazing Firework show!  We had so much fun hanging out with friends and just enjoying the evening together.  When we went home, our best couple friends came over to say goodbye to us because they moved to Michigan today. We are so sad and we are going to miss them so much!  We are also taking applications for a new couple best friend, but be warned: you will have some big shoes to fill! 

All fun celebrations aside, I definitely know the reason that we are even able to celebrate this holiday, and I just want to say that I am so grateful for all of the men and women who have fought, and still are fighting for the freedoms that I get to enjoy every single day.  America is a young country, but our history is rich, inspiring, and something worth celebrating!  I tear up when I hear our National Anthem because I am overwhelmed with gratitude and patriotism. I love America so much, and I know that I am so very blessed to live here. I am proud of the good men and women who have sacrificed so much for our country, and I am grateful that I was born into such a wonderful country that I love more than I can adequately express.  God bless America!

1 comment: