Thursday, August 28, 2014

Stuck in a Rut?

Lately, I have lacked motivation big time.  I don't know what it is, I'm stuck in a rut.  I miss my family and friends. I wake up in the morning, and it feels like I haven't slept all night.  I go to work, and I can't wait to get home.  I cook dinner, but I look for the fastest ways to do all of these things.  You know what I am lacking?  Passion.  For everything.  I don't know if it's just me, but this happens to me every now and again, and I have to evaluate what I am doing and what needs to change, and when I do, suddenly all is right in the world again.  You see, I know that I have no one to blame but myself.  I've let myself get lazy and complacent.  It's something that I fall into easily.  Patterns that I get into and it takes me awhile to realize just what I am doing to myself.  So, here's a few things that I know I need to change, and while I'm still struggling to get myself out of this rut, I've noticed some huge changes in the way that I feel since I've been doing them.  If you find yourself in a similar situation, may I suggest that you do a few of these things as well!

  • Do something you love. Simple enough, right?  Wrong.  So often we get caught up in the things that we have to do, and we forget to make time for the things that we like to do.  For me, these activities include reading, enjoying nature, and creating something, whether it be a painting, something for my home, or a pretty meal, they make me happy.  
  • Get Physical.  Something we all can do more of.  I got so caught up in work this summer, and I'm embarrassed to say my workout regimen was almost nonexistent.  Sometimes we fall off the wagon, and that's okay!  Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days... yeah. That just happened.  I quoted Hannah Montana, loud and proud. Anyway, exercise doesn't have to be running 3 miles and lifting weights.  There are so many forms of exercise that you can do, and I promise you can find something you love.  Here are some things I love to do, and you might too.  Yoga is a great way to sculpt, tone, burn fat, etc.  I absolutely love Yoga!  And no, it is not easy, pretty much anyone who has taken a class will tell you that.  Rock Climbing is also a great form of exercise.  And it is so much fun!  Hiking, biking, swimming, (laps of course.  Walking in a pool isn't really exercise) dancing, tumbling, etc.  These are all great forms of exercise, and they don't require going to a gym ore even spending lots of money on memberships.  Find something you love to do, and then do it a lot!
  • Sleep.  Something we all need more of, amirite?!  Jason and I are total night owls.  We love to stay up late and watch movies together.  It is so bad for your health when you don't get enough sleep!  So, Jason and I have been making a goal to go to bed at 11 every night, and so far it has made a huge difference.  I know 11 isn't early to some people, but for us it is!  Baby steps.  Early to bed, Early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.  That is the absolute truth.  If you can get into a good sleeping habit, it will make all the difference in the world.  
  • Drink water.  I may be the only person who has trouble doing this, but I have a feeling that I'm not.  A good rule of thumb is to divide your body weight in half, and that's how many ounces you should be drinking per day.  If you're working out a lot, you're going to need more than that.  It's so important to be well hydrated, and I'm sure we've all heard this a million times, so I wont bring up the millions of statistics and articles about the importance on this topic.  Just drink water, okay?  
  • Serve others.  I would be lying if I said I am perfect at this, and most of the time if I am assigned to visit someone or help somebody I don't know, my first thought is, why me? I don't have time for this. blah blah blah, selfish selfish selfish.  However, every single time I serve someone else and get outside myself, I feel so grateful and humbled and put in my place.  That is what life is about, guys.  This week I had the opportunity to visit some investigators with the sister missionaries, and I cannot tell you the light and joy that it brought me.  I was able to see people changing, their testimonies beginning to grow, and their happiness was evident.  I was so touched, and I felt like a big jerk because of my attitude before I went.  Luckily, life is about learning and growing, and I think I learned my lesson.  
Since I have been doing these things, I have noticed the hugest difference in the way I feel, in the amount of time I have in the day and how much I am able to accomplish, and ultimately, my happiness.  There's always room to improve and grow, and these are simple ways in which I have improved in my own life, and I'm grateful that we are always given the chance to improve ourselves for the better.  Namaste.  Can you tell I've been really into Yoga lately?  I'm curious, what things have you done to increase motivation and happiness in your life?

P.S.  We are getting a dog.... and I couldn't be more excited!!!  


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I was just thinking today, "I miss Sheree's blog posts..." so I got a little too excited when I saw that you posted!

    And because I'm a health teacher in the making, the whole time I was reading this I was like YES YES YES to this post! haha love you so much, Sheree! Great tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shayli! I miss you! You always make my day. I really really want to get together when I get home, please?! You're the best, and your blog posts make me laugh out loud. Love you!

      Delete